Chicory is known to many as an excellent analog of coffee, allowing you to get a charge of vigor during the day. Unlike coffee beans, it does not contain harmful caffeine, so it can be consumed by people with hypertension, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, blood vessels and heart. However, the benefits of chicory for the body are not limited only to the imitation of flavor. In fact, this drink is used for medicinal purposes and is a good prevention of many diseases.
Is chicory useful: chemical composition and calories
Chicory belongs to the perennial plants of the Aster family and grows in tropical and temperate climates. For the preparation of drinks, its root part is used, which contains up to 75% of the organic compound inulin. This unique substance is a natural polysaccharide used in diabetes for dietary purposes. Easily digested by the body, it plays the role of a powerful prebiotic and with regular use increases the body’s resistance to harmful bacteria.
In addition to inulin, the benefits of chicory for the body are due to the presence of 12 vitamins that strengthen our health
- Beta-carotene – has an antioxidant effect and removes free radicals, thus preventing cancer.
- Vitamin E – slows down the aging process, prevents thrombosis and improves the immune system.
- Thiamine – increases endurance, prevents the development of neurological pathologies.
- Choline – cleanses the liver of excess fat.
- Ascorbic acid – strengthens immunity, provides prevention of colds.
- Vitamin B5 – improves skin condition, helps to better digest other nutrients.
- Pyridoxine – used for stress and fatigue, improves metabolism, normalizes blood sugar.
- Riboflavin – necessary for the regulation of cell growth and the full functioning of the reproductive system.
- Vitamin K – another substance that explains what the benefits of chicory are. It contributes to better blood clotting and takes part in the formation of bone tissue.
- Vitamin PP – converts nutrients into energy.
- Retinol – improves vision, ensures cell development, strengthens teeth and hair.
- Folic acid – participates in the synthesis of DNA and amino acids, supports the cardiovascular and immune system.
In addition to vitamins, the plant contains lactulose, selenium, phosphorus, calcium, zinc. A big role in its benefits for the body is played by dietary fiber, which ensures the proper functioning of the intestine and improves the microflora. Sufficient consumption of fiber allows you to reduce glucose and harmful cholesterol, and also reduces feelings of hunger, so it will be much easier to avoid overeating.
Considering what is useful soluble chicory, it is necessary to mention its low caloric content – only 21 Kcal per 100 g of the product. Given that for the preparation of one cup you need only 5 g of powder, the number of calories in the drink will be minimal. For this reason, it can be fearlessly consumed by people who seek to get rid of excess weight.
What is the benefit of chicory for our body
Among the energizers of natural origin, chicory ranks first in its effectiveness. Medics advise drinking it in cases where coffee is contraindicated for health reasons, but you really want to improve your mood, increase efficiency and cope with a decline in strength. The drink, drunk on an empty stomach, dulls the feeling of hunger and significantly reduces appetite. It is useful to use it when losing weight, for dieting or for the prevention of overweight.
Answering the question of whether chicory is useful, it is worth noting that due to its composition, the plant has a wide range of action and has many useful properties:
- reduces blood pressure, accelerates blood circulation and dilates blood vessels;
- promotes relaxation of the nervous system and eliminates insomnia;
- accelerates the elimination of toxins from the body;
- normalizes the level of insulin in the blood;
- saturates the body with the necessary microelements and vitamins;
- has a wound-healing effect and provides rapid recovery of the skin;
- has a choleretic effect;
- reduces the amount of dangerous triglycerides, reducing the risks of atherosclerosis and hypertension.
Many men note the benefits of chicory for their body in terms of improving the work of the urogenital system. Its ability to increase blood flow in the prostate gland helps in the elimination of pelvic congestion and has a beneficial effect on male potency. Especially relevant plant for men with bad habits and malnutrition, since with age such people are more prone to heart attacks.
The drink strengthens vascular walls and normalizes blood pressure, which is a good prevention of heart disease.
Women appreciate the plant for its positive effects on hair and skin. A drink from the powder ensures the restoration of collagens, which are responsible for the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Since there is no caffeine in chicory, pregnant women and nursing moms can safely drink it. Being close in flavor to natural coffee, it does not affect the tone of blood vessels, but gives the body more energy.
Harm of the drink and contraindications
Finding out the benefits and harms of instant chicory for health, it can not be overlooked that it is not recommended to drink it with varicose veins and the presence of gallstone disease. In some people, the plant can cause allergic reactions or individual intolerance, so if you are prone to allergies, it should be used with caution.
Due to the fact that under the influence of magnesium and ascorbic acid, the drink dilates blood vessels and thin the blood, it is contraindicated for people with hypotension or frequent pressure spikes. Even one cup of chicory can significantly reduce BP, which is manifested in hypotensive people by the appearance of nausea, weakness, dizziness.
Since chicory is a medicinal plant, it is not recommended to drink more than 300 ml of the drink per day. Overdose is always a harm, even when it comes to natural medicines. In the absence of contraindications and compliance with the recommendations, chicory will be unambiguously useful for the body and will help restore your health.